Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

I love Chile. Don´t get me wrong.

But it´s the 4th of July, and I woke up this morning at 6:30 am because I had a final at 8am, and it was raining and cold. . .

and the 4th of July. our independence day, and I sighed and thought about all the independence days of my past. . . the images that the day brings to mind:

family
bar b cue
sun
summer
ice cream
lemonade
and most importantly. . .

FIREWORKS!!! and it´s raining here. and cold. and my family is so far. But then I got up and put on my Blue jeans, RED sweater, White scarf, and blue earrings (thank you), and I felt better. Independence day isn´t the bar b Que, it´s the patriotism you carry inside (wow. that´s sounds like a bad infomercial doesnt it???)anyways,

We have been talking a lot about the idea of "nation" and national identity in my lit class, and I think (on a day like today)that national identity is often about simple shared things. feeling connected. It´s not even about national pride.

we got that one under control.

it´s about the security of knowing there are people all over your country celebrating. . . with you. People you will never know. . . who maybe completely different from you in every way imaginable. . . except for the fact that they also call themselves Americans (and yes, I´m allowed to use the term today because it´s Independence day, and I want to.) We are only as lonely as we allow ourselves to be; there are so many things that connect us. Today, I am proud to be an American. Proud to come from a place of diversity, possibility, hope, and the potential for change.

and these (directly below). . . although I am posting them on my blog. They are really more for me then they are for you. Because you will have yours today I imagine. (Somebody better do some sophisticated sparkler-dancing and design making for me. . .by the way.)



Some updates:

Have I told you all that I have been camera-less for something like two months??? Tim and I accidentally exchanged chargers in San Pedro (we have the same brand of camera) and so I haven't been able to charge my battery. Luckily, Sally takes pictures of everything, so I've just been stealing hers.

I´m finishing up with my classes. WE finally resumed classes and ended the strike. Several buildings are still in Toma even after they shot down the school for two days so the police could come in and take back the buildings. The students just took them over again. surprise. but it was Super dramatic. you can imagine.

I took my last final this morning ( I annihilated it.HA-i love using Mortal Kombat vocabulary to describe post-test feelings). ANYways, it went well. Now, I have to finish grading (which i should be doing now). Did I say the United States Independence day isn`t a holiday here? I actually woke up sad. Like, wait a minute, WHAT i have to like pretend like its a normal day?? in the rain???Boo.

But I´m still wearing my Patriotic fashion.

And then I have to do one more large paper for my masters class, but its not due for a few more weeks.

And. Now. my love life.

Because I´m lazy and have been really busy getting ready for finals, I had started this entry like weeks ago (minus the 4th of july thoughts), and so at that point i had written:

I know some of you are curious, but I don't want to say too much about my date (for obvious reasons although he doesn't speak any English). Being the complete OVER-analyzer that I am, am still pondering. . . but, lets just say. . . it was lovely. . . and I hope I see him again soon.

I will say though. . .IMAGINE. . .having one of those first dates where you really think you like the other person and you're talking about all the random, varied stuff you talk about on those first dates when you end up talking like (awkward) you were trying to hand someone an image of yourself as if it were a baseball card (which is impossible). . .and there's jokes, and intense questions. . .


and it's all in another language.


And I thought dating was stressful in English!!!! It was good for me though. . .and my spanish was alright. . .all though he is puro chileno, and I so I got lost in a lot of the modismos. We also were only in loud places (restaurant then bar) so I couldn't really hear him too well. There was lots of hand gestures and drawing (he likes to draw cuz he is an amazing artist), but it was all fun.

Needless, to say, he asked me out again. . . and again. . .so. . .we´re sorta dating. His name is Nicolàs and pictures are coming soon. So. . . he´s great. (smiling)

Anyways. . .I know I've talked about them before, but I'm really thankful to have Sally and Nicole here. You know how you just meet some people and fall into friendships as if you've always known each other and always been friends?? thats what its like with these two. . . lots of laughs. . . lots of singing. . . lots of joy. Here's some photos of our recent adventures.

To see the album in its entirety. . .click here:
Sally, Mere, and Nicole


a Saturday or two ago, George and Nancy, our resident family, hosted all of us over for a wonderful Taco salad party. . . we even had refried beans that they had brought back from the states. Man, I miss refried beans. They were sooooo goood. Sally was quite excited about the whole affair, since she wasn't quite sure what tacos were much less taco salads. I know, hard to imagine right?

It was great fun, and we got to meet two of Akshai's friends from home, Liz and Lauren, who were both lovely. . . a good time had by all.

Sally, Nicole, and I took the train to Hualci. . . good times. . . we brought provisions, ate rigochoc, scared small children, and ran in the rain:





This is pancho man. . . we kind of loved him and wanted to (as sally says)"invite him home for tea." But we didnt, of course.

Sally and Nicole organized an amazing talent show at their university. The acts were actually super impressive.

Me, Chris, and Nick

Ok. I´m obsessed with this song. It`s the portugese version of Damien Rice`s "Blower`s Daughter" and although I LOVE YOU DAMIEN, I think I like this version better. And i dont understand a word of portugese. but it doesnt matter. and YES that is a woman that is singing the first verse even though she sounds like a man. she is cool.



Other than that. I´ve been studying a lot. Nico`s sick. He has a fever. He cooked for me. He´s not machista. He makes me laugh. oK. no mas

I had a rotariffic weekend. I spent both Friday and Saturday with my beloved Rotarians. Friday night we went to Los Angeles and didnt get back until 4am. It was a blast as always. And Saturday they had an event in Conce to introduce a new club, change officers, and accept new members.

I talked with my Masters profesora last night about applying officially to the program and she was completely excited and totally encouraging (about the possibiliity of applying for scholarships as well), so I feel good about all that.

One of the most intense requirements to apply is a fluency in speaking, reading, and writing English. . . and I was like SWEET. . .

1. Yay! for my english being useful for something in Chile
2. check that little bad boy off the qualifications list. . . I do know how to read and write English!! Woo Whoooo

KARA IS COMING!!!! TO VISIT ME !!! and I am sooooooooo excited. She will be ehre from July 24th until August 8th, and we are going to travel around Chile and maybe spend a few days in Argentina too. Her birthday is the 16th, so we will be having a SABB 07 SOUTH AMERICAN BIRTHDAY BLOWOUT 07!!!!

and i cant wait!

I´m going to Chillan next week for four days. I´m going to give two rotary presentations and learn all about Chillan.

Sally leaves next Saturday. I can´t think about it or will get really depressed. really. i don´t know what i will do without her. . .no more duets. .. no more 4am eggs. .. no more pant ripping. . . ballet in the calle. . . it makes me sad. But i know she is excited to travel and see her family, and Nicole have decided we are going to visit her in Beer sometime in the near future. Meanwhile, I am going to pretend that she´s not leaving.

FAMILY: I miss you soo much, and I hope you have an amazing 4th. . . soak up the sun for me. . . wish I could be there

I found this quotation which perfectly depicts what I miss today and why I like being an American:

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~Erma Bombeck

hope you and yours are happy and safe,

una aurora,

Mere

1 comment:

Jano D. said...

I'm impressed with your hability to write and describe situations...I really like your Blog!
I'm so happy I met you and the whole crew you guys are AWESOME.

See you around my friend ;)